Monday, September 9, 2013

The Lord is Hastening His Work

Haha well not much happened this week, but I know there will be more upcoming appointments and opportunities this week to teach.

The past couple of weeks became rougher health-wise, so it affected how much Sister Gledhill and I were able to do, but now I am feeling much better. Since Hypertonic Saline did not come in on time, I was coughing up thicker, larger amounts and it was physically draining. People started asking if I was sick or what was wrong, and explaining CF in a short time without scaring people can be challenging at times. I don't remember my lungs being that junky in a long time--I believe the last time they were like that was when I was in middle school. I was also probably fighting a virus because I was having moments of nausea and I was constantly exhausted.

There's no need to worry about that now because things are much better. :) HyperSal finally arrived on Friday after my insurance approved it/ Walgreens received it after it was on back order. My mission president was concerned and instructed Sister Gledhill and I to stay at home for most of the weekend. It also took me some time to realize that so many appointments were falling through, possibly to allow me to stop and rest. I was able to visit with Dr. Cernadas this morning for her to evaluate, and my PFT score slightly dropped, but I'm doing pretty well. I'm still taking the antibiotic she prescribed on Thursday as well as Hyper Sal. Ay ay ay I hope it's not too much info but I'm just glad things are improving! It was a very close call for a 10 day clean-out but ain't nobody got time for that. :)

This is also a bit random...when at the clinic today, we were able to talk with Brandon again. He's really awesome, and he was just in fact picked to be the employee of the Month. He told about Sister Gledhill and I to his family and says that everything we've taught him (even though it hasn't been much) has made sense. He's been confused for so long because all the different pastors he's seen have taught him different things that don't make sense. He committed to read the Book of Mormon and hopes to meet with us again before the next visit.

During all of this week's struggles, I was able to recognize tender mercies as the Lord showed he cared through people doing acts of service. I didn't mean to draw in attention but many expressed their concerns. One night when my appetite was gone, I didn't mention I only wanted fluids, but our neighbor Kevin said he'd drop off "a couple" of drinks on his porch. We went outside, and there were bottles of water, juices, ginger ale, chocolates, and more. 

There was also a night when I about hit my limit with how rigorous my treatments were becoming. I then saw that an older Elder that works at the mission office sent me an envelope. I opened it to find a recent article from Discovery Magazine all about the advancements for CF over the years, and how the pill that takes away the CF symptoms should be out by the end of next year. The Elder didn't know how I was at the time, but it was a hopeful reminder to keep going, and that all this won't last forever. :) It was an awesome moment and I know it was not a coincidence that I received the article right before I started my treatment.

Other than the health stuff that happened, we have been preparing to teach our English class here in the town starting in a couple of weeks. It's been a work in progress but it is almost here! All the missionaries here are also going to help build a playground in a low-income project area. It's a big deal for the community right now and there will be many volunteers--even the Patriots team is helping out. :) I won't overdo it, but I am looking forward to helping out and I love the service opportunities that come. :)

I'm having to take everything one step at a time each day, whether it be patience with my health or weaknesses, patience with appointments, or even the lessons. I still love being a missionary and although there are tough experiences along the way I know they are there to help strengthen and grow. The Lord is still opening up opportunities and providing experiences to help this great Work of Salvation as He always knows what's in store.

I love you all and take care.

-Sister Roy



No comments:

Post a Comment