Monday, May 19, 2014

More Lessons Learned and Great Strides


Sister Harris and I at CF Great Strides Walkathon

Hey hey!

It's been another great week. I feel like the experiences from this week are a little all over the place so bear with me.

This week Sister Harris and I had another lesson with Yuri. We began to teach the Plan of Salvation as we discussed the Pre-earth life, the Creation and Fall, and why we're here on earth. During our lesson, Yuri would break in and share experiences he's had to follow the Savior's example by reaching out and serving others, and loving them no matter what. We tied his experiences as to how we can follow Jesus Christ while we're here on earth, because that's exactly what he's doing. He has a pure heart and wants to keep learning. His English continually improves and he's working to become a lawyer here in the U.S. We are blown away with how well he is progressing.

We also had another lesson with our investigator Mike at the Hovey's. I used to have a hard time understanding what his learning method was or how he was understanding what we taught. I've come to realize he shows his progression differently, but oh now I love that kid! Heavenly Father sure opened my eyes last night to see him for who he is. Since he is leaving for college soon, he opened up in last night's lesson how he wants to stay on the right path and make right decisions. He knows how many college students make poor choices by turning to the wrong sources or substances, but he wants to follow the Savior steadily. Our lesson last night was focused on the Atonement as we are in the middle of "Earth Life" in the Plan of Salvation. At the end of the lesson, I asked Mike how he would like to develop a more personal relationship with Jesus Christ, or in other words, what more he would like to do. I was going to ask if he would be willing to follow His commandments as he learns about them, but then Sister Hovey asked without fear "Mike, what about baptism?" We weren't going to bring it up before since his mom said at one point she did not want him to become Mormon (we will face that later--I know it will work out in the right timing), but holy smokes this felt so right at this time!!

Mike continued on how he was already baptized, since he was Catholic, so Sister Hovey taught about how the restored priesthood is vital and how children under 8 are not held accountable. He agreed that he didn't make the decision himself--that he's grown since then and thought more about what he wants in his life. At this point of the lesson, everyone in the room was still. The lesson was running over and I had to get home for treatment, so I told how we will teach more about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost next time. I gave a brief explanation on what the Holy Ghost does, as it's the second part of baptism and would not be complete without it. Before I knew it, the words "As a representative of Jesus Christ, I testify to you..." spilled out as blessings were promised to him on how the Holy Ghost would fulfill his desires, ambitions, and provide direction for his future. I could tell right then, as I wasn't sure what was coming from my mouth, what he needed in his life and that he was ready. I was able to understand how he needs the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost in his life, and how he wants to follow Christ's example. Before we left, he promised he would set a few minutes aside to find a quiet spot, kneel down, and sincerely ask Heavenly Father if this is the right decision for him.

This morning I came across the scripture in Isaiah 55:8-9 that fit perfectly. "For my thoughts are‍ not your thoughts, neither are‍ your ways my ways, saith the Lord. 9 For as‍ the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

There are times where I may stubbornly assume or jump to conclusions on what will happen or how things are, whether it is based on what I observe of how situations seem to be going. However, I was reminded again of how the Lord often has a much more marvelous plan than what we can imagine. We may find ourselves setting boundaries based on what we see and observe in the moment. There's only so much we can comprehend or picture as to what He has in store. However, faith can step in as we can trust in how much more our Heavenly Father may have planned, simply out of love as He wants to give the provide the best He possibly can.

The rest of this week was filled with organizing area information and becoming involved in service opportunities to lift others up. It's been a little bit of an emotionally-draining week regarding CF matters. Some heartbreaking news that Sister McGill shared with us was that her family's close friend with Cystic Fibrosis passed away this week. He was also their son Tyler-- who is on a mission--'s best friend. Sister Harris and I weren't sure how much we could do besides praying for them, so we came up with the idea of making something for Sister McGill involving her all-time-favorite...Reece's. That's when the brilliant idea came--peanut butter cookies with chopped up Reece's inside. Ohhh sweet sugar they were so good. You have got to make them! Sister McGill said they were the best, so we were glad that we were able to help in a small way.

Something else happened this week I never thought would happen on the mission--Sister Harris and I were able to attend Great Strides! There was a family who was in our branch with a couple of teenagers with CF. They hadn't been to church in a while, but we thought we could support them by joining their daughter's team for the event. We got permission a while ago, so we headed to the Cape. I prayed hard that morning as it was pouring rain with strong winds that it would clear up in time. Surely enough, it did. 

The Cape Cod Canal...Great Strides Walkathon route along this
The walk was beautiful--right along the Cape Cod canal. We didn't think there would be much sunlight at all, but we were wrong, and there was an overcast...it wasn't until we got home that we realized we were lobsters. Whoops. We tried to keep a safe distance from the two kids with CF, but I'll admit it was still very very nerve-racking. Sister Harris made a very good body guard and kept a good eye out. :) Overall, though, it was a good event and the family was glad that we were there to support them.


Well I better get going but I hope you all have a wonderful week. Did I mention that I CANNOT wait for Friday????? :D

Love you all so much,

Sister Roy


No comments:

Post a Comment