Monday, November 17, 2014

Final CF Appointment/Thoughts on Zion

Hey all!  So this week...

Sister Jones and I went on an exchange with our Sister Training leaders Sisters Blair and Platt, which ended up being for almost 2 days! That usually doesn't happen, but the appointment Sister Jones and Sister Platt were in went overtime, so we met up the next day, but then had to exchange again for a sudden happening that ended up working out well.

While I was with Sister Blair in Cambridge, we made a few stop by's for unknown members on the list given to us from our Bishopric. We also did quite a bit of personal contacting out on the streets, as I quickly learned how fearless Sister Blair is! For the rest of the week, some appointments fell through and plans changed, but everything ended up going well. Sister Jones and I have been working closer with our Bishopric, as we've been visiting a lot with the list of "Unknowns." We also decided to go to town with the Christmas Party our Bishopric will be holding in December. We offered them our help, which they said they would be grateful for! During our weekly planning, we brainstormed every possible idea that could come to use for the party, then presented it to our Bishop in an email. Before we knew it, we were invited to the Bishopric meeting for the party! They loved a lot of our ideas, so we immediately planned what needed to be done and went to work! Although I won't be here for it (it'll be on the 13th) I'm still glad to help out with it. :)
Also...we almost taught Ryan Seacrest, Usher, and an artist named Shawn Mendez (who apparently has been becoming more known while I've been out)!! I had my last CF clinic appointment at Boston Children's Hospital on Friday. Right as we left the icy winds and freezing weather outside, we found ourselves behind a large crowd in the newly remodeled lobby. Sister Jones gasped as we saw on the large screen ahead a young man singing to a child. She admired and always listened to Shawn Mendez, who I had no idea who he was. Apparently many people do. As he played an acoustic song live to an inpatient at the hospital, everyone had their phones and cameras out. He sang a song (that Sister Jones told me) was called "Ordinaries" as I discovered how much talent he has. (Maybe I'm going to look up his music later on, but time can wait. :)) When his song ended, we saw Ryan interview him with Usher in the background. Sister Jones and I took advantage of the time we had as we were early to our appointment. We paced our way up the stairs and passed by the studio. We caught a glimpse of them, but unfortunately they didn't let anyone take pictures or talk to them unless they had a pass. We were so close!! Nevertheless, it was touching to see how much the people who set up the studio want to help these kids and families going through a very rough time feel extra hope and light through this service. 
*As a side note: It turns out Ryan Seacrest recently set up a studio at Boston Children's, where inpatients can be interviewed and guest performers will come every now and then. The hospital lobby was also completely redone--with a Red Mango as well as stairs that light up and play music when you walk on them.
The CF appointment itself was the quickest I've had here. I had my PFTs done, to find out they were the highest they've ever been in the mission, even though it was by a tiny percentage. My weight has also been maintained the whole year and a half, which was my goal. Brandon wasn't there since he was out sick so I was a little distraught, but I was able to leave a couple conference talks and a thank you note. Dr. Cernadas and I had a quick good visit. Haha as always with our visits, she tried to give all the credit to me while she must have thought I was crazy as I would try to point out how even through all the effort I've had to put in, it could only be done with the Lord's help. After giving her a thank you care, we took a picture and bade goodbye once again. I don't know how I ever would have made it this far without the diligence, dedication, knowledge, and care of my health providers here. Even though it is a children's hospital, I'm sure going to miss Boston Children's! (Not to mention it was ranked #1 in the country in 2014.) My words don't serve justice for my gratitude to have attend there over the course of my mission.
Since the CF visit, I've been reminded that my body is still susceptible to temporary illness. It turns out I must have caught some kind of nasty bug while at the hospital so I'm still recovering from it. However I feel peace and keep holding to the promise I've been given several times that I'll finish the mission here. Sometimes it hits you when you realize how real the phrase "Endure to the end" is.
This week I have been pondering over the importance of Zion, as it's what our mission is built upon. I've learned quite a bit about Zion, as before the mission I never before put much thought into what it is. It seemed to be more of an unreachable destination down the road, as I had always heard of its description given in Moses 7:18. We can build Zion within our callings with our leaders and auxiliaries. We can work towards Zion in our families and in our closest relationships. Last but not least, we can achieve Zion between ourselves and our very Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. I won't go into full detail about what I've learned thus far of this concept "Zion"--it would most likely take days when I still am learning and discovering what it's all about.
I was studying in John 17 earlier this week, since a member recommended it during our fast and testimony meeting. In this chapter, Jesus offers His great Intercessory prayer. I never paid much attention to this chapter before. As I read over it, my understanding was opened even more to how our Savior and Redeemer was truly one in purpose with Heavenly Father, as He desires us to be. After all, as I realized, He prayed for this ambition for us--even as it was repeated several times--that (we) may be one, as (they) are.
10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
2
2 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
It inspires me to know that He prayed for us to reach Zion, and that as we accomplish Zion, we become not only one in purpose and vision with each other, but one in purpose and vision with the Father's will for us.
I'm grateful to still strive to establish Zion here in every aspect, whether it be with Sister Jones and the Moore's, with our auxiliaries and our Bishopric, even with my doctors and caretakers...as I continually learn how to become one with the Lord. I know that if we take hold of this sweet privilege to do the same, we can discover the Lord's will for us as we feel a greater abundance of His sweet spirit in our lives.

More next week!
-Sister Roy
P.S. Our mission is hiking up to our goal! We had 19 baptisms this weekend so we are at 39. Elder Holland responded to President Packard's request for prayers for this, as he is praying for this every morning and night in his personal prayers. Elder and Sister Lawrence are also praying for this daily. Miracles don't stop happening!


No comments:

Post a Comment