Monday, November 10, 2014

November to Remember

 It's been a great week. There were still some ups and downs but overall it's been wonderful and we're seeing miracles happening here in Cambridge. :)

On Tuesday, we had the sweet privilege to begin our WebEx Book of Mormon "Knot chapters" studies with President Packard. We dove into 2 Nephi Chapter 2. We all read over the verses as he poured out in-depth responses and explanations to increase our understanding of how the Atonement is a central focus in this chapter. I learned quite a bit, as I'm sure all of us did. It was an incredible study and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's.

The rest of that day and the following were not terrible but not the best. There was a bunch of miscommunication between Walgreen's, the nurses at Boston Children's and my insurance, so after a week of trying to refill Hypersal I ran out of it so I wasn't feeling all that well. However, this led to spending some sweet time with one of our Sister Training Leaders Sister Platt (she is from West Valley) since she wasn't feeling that well either. During our "emergency p-day" we learned how we have a lot in common and I was able to learn a lot from how she's confronted challenges in life. Thankfully my Hypersal came in on Tuesday and even though I was still recovering Wednesday, I felt completely well enough the next morning, even well enough to complete an Insanity Max cardio workout. It was a miracle.

This week it was also incredible to see what a simple, outreaching act can lead to. About a year after Susan greeted Sister Patterson and I at the CVS in Waltham, followed by a series of invites and followups, she entered the waters of baptism in Belmont (at the church right across from the Boston Temple.) She was glowing as always and her husband Chris, who she was married to 3 days beforehand, was supportive by her side. I was so grateful to attend her baptism since a member from our ward, Sister Pritchett, was gracious enough to go on splits with Sister Jones and I since she wanted to continue the weekly D&C Scripture study/now weekly dinner with Andrea. It was a very memorable night. When I asked Susan afterward how she felt, she tried to describe but couldn't fully how clean and renewed she felt.  

Miracles are spreading throughout the mission, as we know November will be "a Time to Remember." Although we don't have any baptism dates here, we are still having large tender mercies taking place here. I am tremendously grateful for them!! Let me just touch up on a few...

--Al has been home from physical rehab for a few weeks. We were able to go see him on Saturday, during which he asked, "What time is church at?" We coordinated a way to get him to church and as soon as our lesson ended, I made phone calls like crazy to let our Auxiliary leaders know and to help him have a wonderful church experience. While making these calls, we found out even more potentials and less actives were coming as well. When it came time for church on Sunday, I was anxious, looking around for those expected to come, especially hoping Al would make it. I almost teared up when the sacrament was about to start--the chapel doors opened and in came the Moore's, Sister Bonnie, and Al's wife Janice pushing him in his wheelchair! He was able to stay for all 3 hours! This was the first time he was able to come in a LONG time!! It's been a year or so.  Al wants to be baptized but doesn't want to commit to a date yet since he's uneasy about his health, but it is slowly progressing and he sees the Lord's hand in his life.

--Kyle brought his friend Alex to church yesterday and Alex brought his friend.

--Our Bishop is easing up to us more. Since we've been focusing on this list of unknowns in the ward that he gave us and as we also touched on the miracles happening in the mission as "November is our time to remember", he's seen great success come from when Sister Scott was here, the Moores, Sister Jones and I being here that he's never seen before. Sister Orgill approached us yesterday, saying she signed up for their family to feed us, the Moore's and the Chinese Elders at the end of this month since I'll be leaving shortly after. It's incredible.

Great blessings are taking place. November is most certainly a time to remember. We could not do any of this without the Lord's guidance. This is not our work. Although we press through difficult times with diligence and patience, our efforts would not lead to anything without Him. 

A couple scriptures I would like to share are D&C 84:88 and Alma 36:22-25. I may have shared this before, but it has been on my mind this week. "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." 

This is a beautiful reminder of the angels that attend to us to give added strength and support when we feel we cannot do it on our own. Whether it be during illness, emotional struggles, loss, grief or heartache, I know that His angels do bear us up, as they are round about. 

I also feel that Alma's words here describe how I often feel as a full-time servant of the Lord. 

Alma 36:23 But behold, my limbs did receive their strength again, and I stood upon my feet, and did manifest unto the people that I had been born of God.
24 Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
25 Yea, and now behold... the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors; 
26 For because of the word which he has imparted unto me, behold, many have been born of God, and have tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God."

There is great joy that comes through this work as we see hearts turn and lives change, as we help bring souls closer to Him.

Love,
Sister Roy


No comments:

Post a Comment