Monday, September 15, 2014

Forces Unite!

Time flies when you're immersed in the Lord's work. Before I knew it, Sister Scott was all packed up and we were driving to Weston for the Trainer's meeting, Forces Unite, then for Transfer Meeting. The meeting for the trainers was wonderful--so many of us from the same bunch that came out at the same time were training for our first time, including my MTC companion Sister Barney as well as Sister Patterson. There were 26 of us trainers, all for the 26 missionaries to come in...huge group! We were then going to have the Forces Unite Meeting, but 2 new missionaries got lost while at Boston Commons for the personal contacting experience. It took time to find them, so the meeting was then going to be after Transfer Meeting! It would have been torture!



So after shoving food down we all packed in the chapel. After opening exercises and getting settled, President Packard announced how there was a mishap in plans for Forces Unite, so they decided to do it RIGHT THEN! We just had to keep the noise and excitement down while in the chapel with no pictures being taken. It was a very sacred experience. President called on one new missionary at a time, having them stand up, telling a little bit about them and then about their trainer. He then announced who would be training them--it being revealed news to both of them. Each companion would run to each other (more of the Elders walked up), embracing in tight hugs or the typical "back pat hug" Elders do. One new missionary was introduced, then after a little bio, President called and said, "Elder, you will by trained by your very own cousin!" It was so cool since they are from Brazil and must have been raised together. 



Now, as a quick background story:



A couple weeks ago while at the T-stop in Somerville, a lady said, "Hello" to us. She was from Utah and just moved in for her job. She began telling about a Sister Jones who would come into the mission as was at that time in the MTC. She was in her home ward and told how she was blonde and darling. Since then, she Sister Jones, especially when I heard I would be training, remained at the back of my mind.



At transfer meeting, more companionships were put together and I was so anxious!! The Sister with very blonde hair somehow stood out. She was one of the last two to be assigned. As President called her to stand, tears welled up in my eyes, especially when he called her name--Sister Jones. He told a little bit about her then about myself.  As my name was called I was already on the edge of the bench. I couldn't help but let out "I knew it!" as I ran up to her and threw our arms around each other. It was a special moment right there at the front of the filled chapel.

My new companion Sister Jones


After Transfer Meeting there were a couple of other neat experiences:



With Susan who we met at CVS
 - A lady pulled me aside, telling me Sister Patterson was looking for me to take pictures. She barely looked familiar. When Sister Patterson found me to take them, she told me it was Susan--a CVS greeter we met back in Waltham who were hopeful to start teaching! She is preparing to be baptized!



- I also heard from an Elder in my past area that a new member with his PhD in something like Genetic Research moved into their ward. His job is solely working on the cure for Cystic Fibrosis...(drumroll)...maybe this is old news to you by now, but it was new news to me...THE MAGIC PILL WAS APPROVED BY THE FDA!!!



Since then, it's been a rough few days for the two of us, especially since Sister Jones has been pretty homesick and we both happened to catch a nasty cold, but I know we're going to go far together. I know I needed this experience to help me remember we were placed together for the Lord's purposes. Sister Jones is darling. She was definitely born a leader and has so much potential as a servant of the Lord. My baby is going to go far!



Yesterday in Sacrament meeting, one of the members of the ward shared a scripture as part of his talk that stood out to me:



 22 And he cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and besought him to touch him.



 23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.



 24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.



 25 After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.

(Mark 8: 22-25)

There are often times where we are blind in our own sight, whether it pertains to seeing a situation clearly, how the Lord views us, or how He truly sees those around us. However, as we turn to the Savior, seeking His help, He requires us to look up. He can open our eyes and hearts to see what marvelous sights and wonders He desires us to see and understand.








I love you all so much. Seriously, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your prayers. They mean the world.



Love, 

Sister Roy


Butterfly picture

No comments:

Post a Comment